Sunday, November 7, 2010

Adventure #13: A Quick Trip to Minnesota

What a whirlwind week it has been! I found out on Monday night on my way back from Monday night football at the Lights that my great-grandpa had passed away. He was 95 years old and lived a good full life so it was not so much of a sad passing but more of a celebration of life.

Nevertheless, I really wanted to be home for the funeral. My great-grandma (his wife) passed away the day I left to drive out to Arizona so there really was no possible way I could have been at that funeral. It was really hard for me to not be there with my family supporting my mom and my aunts and uncles and my grandparents. Anyway, I really wanted to be there, so I talked with my parents and thanks to my dad's frequent flyer miles I was able to get a flight back for really cheap!

So I got a sub for Friday (which was only a half-day anyway) and flew back to Minnesota late Thursday night. I still can't really believe I was there. It was so crazy and so last minute, but so wonderful!

It was wonderful to hug my family and see how tall my sister has gotten. It was wonderful to hug my puppy and pet her. It was great to be at my house, even though I was only there for a short time. It was wonderful to hug my grandma and grandpa and aunts and uncles and cousins. It was wonderful to joke with my older cousins and catch up on life. It was wonderful to hold my youngest cousin and rock her to sleep and see how much she has grown and become a little person.

The best thing about the funeral was seeing the legacy my great-grandparents left behind. They were married for 70 years, my grandpa was 95 when he died and I think my grandma was 97. It was amazing to hear stories about their lives and their faith and to think about all the things they have seen and lived through in their lives. All the wars and trials and times of joy. They lived simply but fully, working hard to make sure their family was provided for but taking time to enjoy their lives as well. The memories I have of them are wonderful; going over to visit them at their little house listening to their stories. Grandpa walking their dog Dolly and Grandma digging into her purse to make sure we all got a dollar bill. I remember Grandpa reminding us what Christmas was really about by reading the Christmas story from Luke when we were all together waiting in eager anticipation to open presents.

It was amazing to sit in the church on Friday afternoon and look around at my extended family all sitting there and think about the legacy my great-grandparents had passed down to all of us. It is a legacy of great faith in the Lord and of the importance of family. We have all gone many different places and directions, but that common thread is running through all of us. It is amazing to see and think about. I only hope that I can live a life as faith filled and full as the life my grandparents lived.

It was great to be home and to be able to share this time with my family. And be there to support them during this time. And I got to see the 10-point buck my dad got on Saturday morning. I'm so thankful I was able to go home and see them all. The best part is that I didn't have to say "good-bye see you in 4 months", I got to say "see you in a couple weeks for Thanksgiving!"

And now I'm back to WARM Arizona- it was a bit chilly in Minnesota :)- and back to my world here of grading papers and planning lessons. And now I need to go get started on our newest adventure...drama club. 63 children staring at Miss Fix and I waiting for us to help them become wonderful actors and actresses! Not too sure what we got ourselves into, but moving 1600 miles away from home and becoming teachers worked out okay, so hopefully this will too :) (Suggestions and tips are welcome!!)

1 comment:

  1. here's a tip...let's just tell them that we are going to have free acting period, and let them go nuts...and btw...it is 64 kids now! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete