Saturday, September 18, 2010

Adventure #9: Week Five and a Lovely Black Eye!

Its hard to believe we are already at the end of week 5, which is also the end of our first grading period. It seems like just yesterday we were packing up the U-Haul to begin this crazy adventure. And now here we sit grading papers trying to get everything put in so we can submit grades for report cards. And then we have to get ready for parent-teacher conferences next week and the craziness continues.

This week went fairly well. I am starting to figure out a routine and when I need to do what. There are always days when things get thrown at me and something doesn't get done, but I am figuring out how to handle it all-I think. Instead of getting overwhelmed by everything that has to get done, I am starting to learn that somethings will just have to wait until tomorrow or the next day. I love going to school everyday and teaching my students and watching as their eyes light up when they finally understand something they have been working so hard on. The days get long and crazy, but their sweet faces and hugs and notes make it all so worth it.

And of course we have to have a little fun thrown in to keep us all from going mad :) Yesterday they had a blow-up waterslide at school for a jr. high reward day. It was a half-day so after the potluck lunch, they let the teachers have a turn on the waterslide! It was a blast and we were all having a great time- until we decided to try and fit four people down at once. And that's when I got an elbow in my cheek bone. It was really quite funny and I popped up laughing, but then I got a little nervous when I could see a bump under my eye forming. Ashley looked at me, and said its bleeding, we better get you into the nurse's office. So they took me in and cleaned off the little scrape and put some ice on it to try and keep the swelling down. Then I had to sit in the nurse's office for about 45 minutes while everyone was in training. After sitting for about 45 minutes with ice on it, I could tell the swelling was getting worse since I could feel it going up into my eye. So the assistant principal called Ashley out of the training and she took me to the doctor. They took x-rays and said nothing is broken I just got hit really good. They gave me some pain meds and sent me home :) I have been watching it swell and turn fun colors ever since. I am exciting to watch and see what colors it will turn. It really is not that painful, it just feels really funny! It will sure be a good story to talk about next week at parent teacher conferences :)


The eye right after I got home from the doctor.

The eye this morning- so much prettier!

Well I'm off to grade my pile of papers! I'll post more pictures as my eye continues to turn pretty colors! Love you all

No comments:

Post a Comment